Saturday, December 4, 2010

Toi noi tieng Viet khong gioi

A few months ago, my cousin told me that creating "new neural pathways" was the best thing that we could do for ourselves as we traveled through our grief.
New pathways come from new experiences.
Well, I've got myself a winner.
I've been selected for an amazing assignment at work: teaching English in Vietnam for six months. The college is establishing a unique partnership with a college in Saigon. They are temporarily releasing me from my job as academic advisor, and I am returning to my roots as an ESOL teacher. Joel will take a leave of absence to come with me.
We leave in February.
We're soooo excited!

7 comments:

Barb said...

I am very happy for this opportunity. May the Lord bless you richly and keep you in the palm of His hand.

dhbryan said...

OK, we can spare you for six months. :-)

Since you two are the only people I know in Houston other than my husband, I'd be selfish beyond the six.

Looking forward to the next set of adventure stories.

Macarena said...

That's is really exciting Erin!! I'm really happy that you have decided to do this. Who knows, I may be joining you for the second leg! I've told Linda I would like to go in May, so keep me posted to see how things go!!

Maura said...

How exciting! May amazing adventures await you!

Kathy said...

Wow Erin!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

I had been so busy with work and school, I have been horrible about keeping up with my friends. I can't wait to hear more about this assignment and do hope that you bring your laptop with you and fill us in on all the nitty gritty details on this new adventure.

Merry Christmas, Erin and may your New Year bring you many many blessings. Sending love from Chicago (((hugs)))
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations! That's an amazing opportunity, and you'll be wonderful! I love reading your words, so you'd better keep us posted on your adventures!

Unknown said...

Amazing! I am sure you will enjoy Saigon as much as I did :). oh wait, I am a Vietnamese. After 6 months, you will proudly say "toi noi tieng Viet rat gioi"
Nguyen.